Around the World in 60 Cocktails: First Conquest
An important source for understanding the first conquest of Norse Earldom lies in the Icelandic Orkneyinga Sagas. Compiled in the late 11th century by an unknown Icelandic author, it paints a vivid picture of battles, murders, sorcery, political intrigue and dirty dealings.
The Orkneyinga Sagas are the only medieval chronicle to have Orkney as the central place of action. It tells of an era when the islands were still part of the Viking world, beginning with their conquest by the kings of Norway in the ninth century. Powerful, savage and poetic, the book is the North’s answer to the Iliad.
Reading Orkney’s bloodthirsty history is certainly thirsty work! Thankfully our spirit-led signature serve is here to help! First Conquest blends the rich and fruity tastes of Braemble Gin Liqueur with Rhubarb Liqueur, which gets its taste from infusing locally picked rhubarb chunks. Not forgetting Bacardi and Highland Park 12, the result is smoky and dynamic – much like the Vikings themselves!
- 3 dash Angostura bitters
- 1 bsp Braemble
- 1/2 oz Giffard Rhubarb Liqueur
- 1/2 oz Bacardi 8yo
- 1 oz Highland Park 12
How to Prepare:
- Prepare a lemon twist garnish
- Chill an old fashioned glass & put to one side
- Collect a mixing glass & fill with cubed ice
- Add all ingredients
- Stir for 15-20 seconds & dip taste
- Drain off excess water from the old fashioned glass
- Express lemon twist over the top of the cocktail & position