Around the World in 60 Cocktails: Le Prisonnier
French Guiana was not always the tropical holiday destination it is today. In fact, during its penal colony days, being sent ‘en Guyane’ was the ultimate form of punishment, reserved primarily for the worst of France’s criminals.
However, for those who truly want to experience an off-the-beaten-path travel destination, French Guiana ticks all the boxes. Tucked away on South America’s northeast coast next to Suriname, this overseas department and region of France is exciting, untamed and diverse.
Today, Guiana has moved well past its French penal past. In fact, with hints of flavors such as cinnamon, nutmeg and clove reminiscent of the country’s cuisine, and delightful VSOP French Rhum Agricole, this fantastic twist on the classic Daiquiri is a taste of the country in a glass. In fact, it would be criminal not to make it!
- 2 dashes Chocolate bitters
- ½ oz. Sugar syrup
- 1 oz. Fresh lime juice
- 1 oz. Boiron guava puree
- ½ oz. Bitter Truth Pimento Dram liqueur
- 1 ½ oz. VSOP French Rhum Agricole
How to Prepare:
- Chill an old-fashioned glass and put to one side
- Add all the ingredients into a cocktail shaker, top with cubed ice and shake for 10 seconds
- Drain all excess water from old-fashioned glass and fine strain
- Add cubed ice & shake for 10 seconds
- Garnish with cinnamon twist and purple flower