Around the World in 60 Cocktails: Lion Heart
Gladiators were the superstar athletes of the Roman world, worshipped by millions and revered by physicians, who would recommend drinking their blood to cure all ailments.
While that might seem a little far-fetched in today’s less bloodthirsty climate, this bespoke cocktail created for Silversea’s S.A.L.T. program channels our rich Italian heritage. Using Italian blood oranges and egg white as a base, mixologists blended tangy citrus gin with grappa for a drink that is a modern twist on gin sour.
Topped off with a dash of bitter and lemon zest, and you’ve got a perfect cocktail which will give you the heart of a lion, the soul of a gladiator and a taste of authentic Italy.
One spoon or two?
- 1 oz. Egg white
- 1/2 oz. Sugar syrup
- 1 oz. Fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 oz. Boiron Blood Orange
- 1 oz. Nonino Amaro Quintessentia
- 1 oz. Malfy con Limone gin
How to Prepare
- Collect a cocktail shaker and add all of the ingredients
- Top with cubed ice and shake for 10 seconds
- Fine strain into another cocktail shaker and shake for 10 seconds without ice
- Pour into glass, add 3 dashes of Peychaud’s Bitters into the foam
- Express the lemon zest over the cocktail and discard