Around the World in 60 Cocktails: Top Heavy
It’s one of the most isolated places on Earth. It’s a tiny speck of green in a vast sea of blue, its nearest inhabited neighbor is Pitcairn Island (pop. 50) over 2,000 km away. The Chilean mainland is more than 3,500 km away. Its pull is both magic and mythical. Where is it? Easter Island, of course.
And the reason why Easter Island has such an enigmatic pull over travelers the world over? Undoubtedly because of its most famous residents – the mysterious moai statues – that emanate a magnetic and mythical aura. Over 1,000 of the mega-monoliths are dotted around the island, mostly on the coasts. Dating from 1100 AD, their history is still slightly hazy (why were they built? How were they transported? Who do they represent?), but, as iconic statues go, it doesn’t get much better than these.
Today, this tiny island is reverting back to its native name – Rapa Nui. To honor the local legends of the island, we have created this Tiki-inspired cocktail that uses the classic combination rum that is bursting with complex tropical flavors. Two types of rum add a dose of tropics, while the addition of passion fruit, lime and apricot keep things fresh. Complex, characteristic and exotic, this cocktail is much like the moais themselves!
- 4 drop Tiki bitters
- 3/4 oz. Monin Vanilla
- 1/2 oz. Fresh lime juice
- 1/2 oz. Boiron Passion Fruit
- 1 oz. Orange juice
- 1/2 oz. Bitter Truth Apricot Liqueur
- 1 oz. Myer’s Dark Rum
- 1 oz. Foursquare Spiced Rum
How to Prepare:
- Chill a sling glass & put to one side
- Prepare the garnishes
- Express a pink grapefruit zest into a cocktail shaker
- Add the remaining ingredients – except Fentimans Ginger Ale
- Add cubed ice & shake for 10 seconds
- Open & dip taste Drain off any excess water from the sling glass
- Fine strain & top with Fentimans Ginger Ale