Around the World in 60 Cocktails: Boom Town
In the late 19th century, Irish-born engineer C.Y. O’Connor had the foresight to deepen the harbor of Fremantle and transform the once sleepy town of Perth into the state of Western Australia’s trade capital and gateway to riches for thousands of gold miners.
The gold prospectors of yesteryear might be long gone, but they have left a busy, booming town in their wake. Today, Perth is a character-rich city, with a happy-hippie vibe and a love of living the good life, Aussie-style. Perth’s colorful past (it was a penal colony from 1850 – 1868) and bright future make it one of the world’s most livable cities.
This signature cocktail based around the classic Southside Fizz uses Old Young’s Smoked Vodka, a locally made spirit that marries botanic tastes of hickory, cherrywood, peat and eucalyptus. Expertly blended with cloudy apple juice, fresh lemon juice and mint, there will be no worries as you enjoy this rather unique tipple.
- 1 handful fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 oz. Sugar syrup
- 1 oz. Fresh lemon juice
- 1 oz. Cloudy apple juice
- 2 oz. Old Young’s Smoked Vodka
- Splash of Fentimans Tonic Water
- 1 drop Bittermens Celery Bitters
How to Prepare:
- Chill a Collins glass and put to one side
- Add mint into a cocktail shaker and press
- Add the sugar syrup, lemon juice, apple juice and vodka
- Fill with cubed ice and shake for 10 seconds
- Fine strain and top with Fentimans tonic
- Add a drop of celery bitters and lightly churn